Monday, June 16, 2014

Mmm...Turkey Chili...

Hello Frugal Friends!! Can you believe it?!?! My 28 days has almost come to end!! I must say...this week has been tough. Not physically tough...but mentally tough. I expected to be struggle with temptations in the form of food. But this week, temptations came in a whole new way. At my weigh in on Sunday, I had only lost 1.2 lbs. :( It was heartbreaking friends...and here is why.I know that I could lose 1.2 pounds while eating gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, sugar, etc. It was hard to swallow and really made me want to throw in the towel. I'm also struggling, because I haven't felt a shift in energy. I was really hoping that eating this clean would give me more energy. As the mother of 1 year old twins and a 4 year old girl....staying home full time....and working a successful and busy direct sales business....you can imagine that energy is something that is in short supply. Unfortunately...I'm just not seeing a change. I think that once the cleanse is over, it's time for me to check in with the old doctor to see what can be done to change up the energy factor.

Now...back to the cleanse. Meals have been pretty good. We're at the point where we are repeating a lot of meals. It's just easier. However, there was one meal this week that was AH-MA-ZING!! Last week....we had Turkey Chili and it blew me away! Here is how I made it:
 Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans
1 onion, diced
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
2 cups water

In a large pot, brown the turkey meat, drain & return to pan. Add the remaining ingredients and heat. I let mien cook for about 20-30 minutes just to let the flavors combine. Serve over brown rice & top with a few avocado slices.

Oh friends....this was so yummy!! I was a little worried that I wouldn't enjoy chili during summer time...but I was wrong! The best part is we ate on this pot for days!! It was super easy to make a quick batch of rice and heat up the chili for lunch. Definitely a repeat here!!


In other news....here is a quick savings tip!! One of my favorite frugal tools is the price match option at your local Walmart store. One item that many people don't realize that they can price match is Walmart's house brand, Great Value. If another store advertises a lower price on their house brand, you can price match it for Great Value brand items at Walmart!! This week...I would encourage you to do this for Milk. We drink a TON of milk....like to the tune of 3 gallons a week! Milk can add up quickly when you are going through it that quick. So...this deal saved our family over $5!

Blessings,


1 comment: